Making Decisions

Choosing someone to manage your decisions, should there be a time when you are not able to, can help give peace of mind. It can save money and make sure that those caring for you take into account your wishes if they are having to make decisions in your best interests.

The ability to understand and make a decision when it needs to be made is called ‘mental capacity’.

The Mental Capacity Act 2005 (MCA) is a law that protects and supports those who can’t make some or all decisions for themselves. It has a ‘Code of Practice’ for those who are assessing someone’s capacity and supporting them to make decisions.

While you are able to manage your own affairs it is important to consider that in the future you may not be able to make arrangements or decisions for yourself as an accident or illness can affect our ability to make decisions and may lead to someone else having to help or even make some decisions on your behalf in the future.

Have you thought about these things?

  • Who would manage your finances or health decisions if you are no longer able to?
  • Do you have an Enduring or Lasting Power of Attorney?
  • Have you made a will or set out your wishes for your care, property or family?

Please don’t assume, as many do, that if anything happens to you your partner/spouse/children will be able to ‘manage your affairs’ for you, they may not be allowed to if there is no legal provision in place.

We only work with others who specialise in care for older people and  can put you in touch with an ‘Professional Member’ of the Care Adviser Network who can provide legal guidance and advice.  Please contact us if you would like some help.

Find out how we can help you

Get your free Care Guide

Simply enter your details to download our extensive Care Guide to help you better understand and plan care.

*By clicking ‘Send’ you are giving consent to Care Navigators to store your details for use in marketing communications in accordance with our privacy policy.