Losing a Loved One

The loss of a loved one is hard at any time, at any age, but it can be magnified if the person left behind is older and unable to get out and about easily or occupy their time with daily tasks because of an illness or disability. The loss of the person who was also the main carer coupled with grief and loneliness can raise a worry about finding someone else to support your care needs.

What to do

It can be hard to think about practicalities at this time but some things need to be done soon after death, including sometimes arranging care for someone that the deceased has been caring for.

You must register a death with the registrar within five days. Take the certificate issued by the Doctor and, if possible, the medical card, birth certificate and a marriage or civil partnership certificate of the person who has passed away.

The registrar will give you a

  • Certificate allowing cremation or burial
  • Certificate to give to the Job Centre or Pension Service
  • Leaflet with details of bereavement benefits
  • One or more death certificates (there is usually a fee for these).

Arranging a funeral

The funeral can usually only take place after the death is registered. Most people use a funeral director but you can arrange a funeral yourself. A funeral can be planned and paid for in advance. For more information the Government has information on the ‘What to do after death’ website pages.

Who to tell

Some of these won’t be appropriate to everyone and some will need to be sent a death certificate;

  • Solicitor/executors of a will
  • Banks/savings/investment providers/ Credit Card providers
  • Pension providers
  • Life insurance company
  • Job Centre Plus/Pension Service
  • Landlord/Mortgage provider
  • Local Council; Council tax, Social services
  • Utility providers
  • Care provider/Dentist

Making Plans

Loneliness and isolation can lead to a need for care and support. Stay as independent as possible by keeping busy and as active as you are able to, age well and make plans, and don’t be afraid (or too stubborn) to get some support.

Let Care Navigators help you work out how to face the future.

Find out how we can help you

Get your free Care Guide

Simply enter your details to download our extensive Care Guide to help you better understand and plan care.

*By clicking ‘Send’ you are giving consent to Care Navigators to store your details for use in marketing communications in accordance with our privacy policy.