There’s life in the old dog yet!

While everything is fine we don’t tend to think about needing care and support in the future. Keeping healthy and active, planning for the future can help you to live the life you choose and making your wishes known can ease any worry for you and those around you at a time of crisis. But, often it is at a time of crisis that we are left with making care decisions, sometimes with little time they can be complex and expensive!

Don’t leave it too late

Please don’t struggle in stoic silence or rely on a loved one who may be struggling. Let us help you navigate the care maze, make good care and lifestyle decisions to stay as independent as possible, wherever you live.

A Local Authority assessment of your care need may be appropriate and Continuing Healthcare may mean your care will be paid for, wherever you live.

We can help with independent assessments and care planning, care funding and benefit advice.

Struggling with everyday things or a caring role?

For many people it is at this point that there may be quite a lot of support and reaching our for help can avoid a crisis later on and help you to live independently for longer. Financially, benefits and specialist financial care advice may help. Legally, plans for future needs and arrangements to ensure your wishes are adhered to.

The Local Authority may have services that can help you stay as independent with things for example; pendant alarms, adaptations to the home, respite or short term care and support for a carer.

Voluntary organisations may help with support for carers and services that make life easier for example chiropody, gardening, housekeeping and transport.

Your GP may like to review your medication and can provide access to other community services for example; district nurses, mental health services or falls prevention classes.

Care navigators - helping advise the community on care
Be Prepared

Making financial arrangements and life changing care decisions for a loved one can be overwhelming and daunting. Making decisions while you still can saves time and money and helps loved ones follow your wishes.

Planning ahead, getting support at home while you still can may help you to stay living independently for longer! Being prepared can save time and money. There are things that you can do without a current need for care and support

  • Power of Attorney
  • Funeral Planning
  • Estate and Financial Planning
  • Making a Will
  • Support around the home and company
  • Property options and good design for living well at home, aids and adaptations
  • Keeping active and eating well

These are all things we can help with, please don’t struggle in stoic silence or rely on a loved one who may find it a struggle to manage your care and support needs alone. Let us help you navigate the care maze, call on 01280 818784 or  get in touch.

You can buy a wheelchair privately but if you are looking for a free one the NHS Wheelchair Services assess people with mobility needs, to decide what sort of wheelchair or other mobility equipment they should be provided with. Usually, it is your GP, hospital doctor or occupational therapist who makes the referral to wheelchair services.

The Local Authority may help  with  a short term  reablement services.  These are not direct care replacement services but aim to support you to stay at home if possible.  For people being discharged from Hospital some short term care may be arranged (and paid for) by the NHS to support a move out of Hospital and allow for time for assessments and settling back at home. These services are short term and any ongoing care will be subject to means test. If you would like help to understand the ways to pay for care and what help is available please get in touch

The NHS has some really helpful guides on the right type of exercise but it may also be worth visiting your GP for a review. If you are looking for a club or activity please get in touch

So much will depend on your circumstances and needs but there is usually some help available and both the NHS and Local Authority provide services, some of which are free. If you would like us to help you review your circumstances and find some support to help you stay independent please get in touch

OT stands for Occupational Therapy. An Occupational Therapist will look at the things that you struggle with in everyday life and help you to work out a practical solution, usually around your home for example getting in and out of the bath, using stairs or moving around your home. They are able to provide aids and can make referrals for minor adaptations and usually work with for a Local Authority or Hospital.  

How can we Help?