Will the Council pay for care?
Will the Council pay for care?

Will the Council pay for care?

Will the Council pay? – What is an Adult Social Care needs and financial assessment Personal Budgets and Care Plans explained.

Social Care services are provided by the Local Authority and help you if you need practical support because of illness or disability and/or care for someone.  You can arrange your own care and support without the Council being involved but this may mean that they do not make a financial contribution and you may be missing out on FREE services.

Types of social care and support may include:

  • care and support at home
  • hot meals
  • Laundry
  • Aids and Adaptations to the home
  • Equipment and house hold gadgets
  • personal alarms and home security systems 
  • access to different types of housing, such as sheltered housing and care homes

Social Care Assessment

You can arrange care and support privately yourself but if you want the council to arrange or pay towards your care a needs assessment will be needed.

The needs assessment will help to form a ‘Care Plan’ that tells you what type of care will meet your eligible need and how much it would cost the Local Authority (Personal Budget) if they are required to or choose to arrange the care and support needed.

Find your Local Authority  to request a Care Needs assessment

The Local Authority can do an assessment of your care needs (FREE) and are often able to help with other services such prevention and support services that could include help with the garden, getting a pendant alarm or an advocate who may be able to do things like organise a tradesman, write a letter or ring a utility company…..

Find your Local Authority to request a Carers assessment

This is different to a care needs assessment as it looks at what care and support is being provided, by who and what support they may need to enable them to continue. It is especially valuable if for any reason the carer isn’t able to provide this whether temporarily for example a hospital stay or because you may need more help that they can manage.

Care Act 2014 ‘Eligibility’ criteria


Will the Council pay for care?
Unable to achieve
Will the Council pay for care?
Unable to achieve
Will the Council pay for care?

Significant impact

unable to achieve



Financial Assessment

Where a Local Authority decides to make a charge a Local Authority must follow the Care and Support (Charging and Assessment of Resources) regulations and have regard to the Care and Support Statutory Guidance.

Financial Assessment – common elements for care at home and care in a care or nursing home

The following rules apply to financial assessment for both residential care and care at home:​

  • Residents with over £23,250 savings/capital will meet the full costs of their care. They are considered able to pay for their own care in full.
  • Residents with between £14,250 and £23,250 will contribute from their savings/capital as a tariff income of £1.00 for every £250 or part of, a contribution from income will also be assessed
  • Residents with Savings/Capital below £14,250 will not contribute from capital, but a contribution from income will be assessed.

Care at home

Because a person who receives care and support outside a care home will need to pay their daily living costs charging rules ensure they have enough money to meet these costs. For care at home, after charging a person must be left with the appropriate minimum income guarantee plus a 25% buffer.

Care in a Care/Nursing home

Most income will be assessed (disregards may apply including half of an occupational pension given to a spouse). You will retain a Personal Expenses Allowance of £24.90 per week that cannot be put towards the cost of care. This may increase (up to £144 per week) if a Deferred Payment Agreement is in place

Remember it is an individual’s care need being assessed and so an individual’s ability to contribute towards the cost that will be financially assessed, any joint savings will be halved a financial assessment and there are property, income and capital disregards to consider.

Deliberate Deprivation

Care and Support Statutory Guidance Annex E

If you give away an asset or do not claim an income or benefit entitlement available to you and the Local Authority and/or DWP decide that this was done with a deliberate intention to avoid paying for your care/ accommodation costs or to access a benefit entitlement, then they may treat you as still owning or having it and if so the financial assessment will include the amount as notional income/capital.

If you would like some help with will the Council pay for care? Please Get In Touch.

Care Navigators

Download the FREE ‘Care Map’ APP

What People Say ...

Saved us nearly £200k
Saved us nearly £200k
SC, Leighton Buzzard
Read More
“My Father had been admitted into Hospital many times over the last few years but until I spoke with Care Navigators no one had mentioned that he may have been discharged under the Mental Health Act. A Care Funding check and established that his care should have been paid for by the NHS and Local Authority for the last 5 years, saving us nearly £200’000”! I am so grateful."
It is a weight off my mind
It is a weight off my mind
JN, Buckingham
Read More
"Before speaking to Care Navigators I had paid for my Wife’s care, I had no idea the NHS could pay and when it came through I was amazed. All £795 per week was paid, from 7 months ago. I couldn’t believe it. Just to say thank you so very much for all you have done. It is a weight of my mind!"
I didn't know my sister could get funding
I didn't know my sister could get funding
FH, Brackley
Read More
“Until speaking with Care NavigatorsI had no idea my Sister could get a benefit for being disabled. She had some savings and I presumed we would have to pay for everything we needed. It has made such a difference to her, she uses it to pay for a cleaner and a gardener, which means I can get the shopping and go out.”
Finding Good Care
Finding Good Care
NM, Whitchurch
Read More
“When my Mother fell and went into Hospital I wasn’t sure she would come out. Care Navigators helped me to find and arrange care for her to go home with, I wouldn’t have known where to start”.
I didn’t have the worry or stress
I didn’t have the worry or stress
SD, High Wycombe
Read More
“Care Navigators knew all of the care providers in my area and I didn’t have the worry or stress of ringing round and not knowing what to ask” Dad is home with a live-in carer and we spend our time together instead of me running around and getting nowhere fast. Thank you”.
Can't thank you enough
Can't thank you enough
LK, Towcester
Read More
“Wow! From beginning to end Care Navigatos helped me to understand what was happening, get the right assessments, find a care home and claim benefits that I didn’t know existed. I can’t thank you enough."
Share this post

How can we Help?